Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Small Side Note

So far this week, I've been talking about the fruit of the Spirit, which I didn't know I was going to do; until it was already done! I'll continue my thoughts on the rest of the gifts next week, but for today...I have a small side note to add.

This coming July, Michael and I will celebrate our 10th anniversary. That is a rather large milestone in this day and age! The reason I mention that NOW, instead of 7 months down the road is because of a video I watched on a friends facebook page. This video was a random tribute to military wives, and if you can get through the relative immaturity of the man doing the video, is VERY touching. Now Michael has never been a part of our military, at least not in the sense most people think of. When Michael and I married, nearly 10 years ago, he was a solider of a different kind. He was a full time youth pastor. You may not understand what I mean by a solider, but I contend he was fighting for the very souls of the young adults in his youth group.

This video I watched, commented on how MW's (military wives!) have to suffer through so very much in their marriages, due to deployments, playing second fiddle to Uncle Sam, moving every five minutes, and basically raising children on their own. I have to 100% agree with this. Since I've moved to Oklahoma five years ago, I've come to know several MW's very well, and they do indeed suffer due to those things. In fact, one of my dear MW friends, is getting ready to move in less then a month and it's breaking my heart to think about it! But as I sat watching this video, and listening with a "military spouse" mind, I started thinking about my life as a PW (pastor's wife). It it started to dawn on me that our lives are not that much different. I never had to deal with deployments, but I sure as heck had to play second fiddle to the Church, and in the course of 4 years, we moved 5 times. We still don't have children, so I never had to deal with that; but I know several PW's that have been the lone person at a child's soccer game because daddy had to deal with an emergency with a church family member.

Now I want to point out something here. Well, two things actually; first: I don't begrudge ANY MW's getting attention for one of the hardest jobs in America, and I think that you deserve so much more then you are getting! and 2nd: I wasn't kidding when I said church FAMILY. We are just that, a wonderful family that is there to take care of one another. We are to be there when one of us is in crisis (maybe a MW's husband has been deployed, or a child is in the hospital or any number of things that could happen to any one family), and we are too rejoice with one another as well (marriage, birth of a child, becoming a Christian, a job well done at work or school).


I think part of me has bonded so well with my MW friends because of the life I lead as a PW. I understand the loneliness that can be involved, I understand that you go where he's called to go (be it by God or Uncle Sam), and I understand that even when he's there...he's not really all yours. He could be called away at any time, be it the day after he gets home, on vacation or just during the one night this year you've managed to have a "date" with him. And then, I think, the other part is bonding with my dear friends because I want to help my country as well. I want to give them a shoulder to cry on, a helping hand when they need it (my MW friend was once a recipient of a "random lawn mowing" while her husband was deployed!!) or even just be there to talk to when they are lonely. I hope all of my MW friends know this.

I think about my facebook list, and I see (in my head) a lot of military people, wives, kids and at least one fiancĂ©e. And then I think again, and I see (again in my head) so many pastors, PW's and PK (pastor kids) and the many volunteers who shape peoples lives through ministry. Then I have to stop and think, I am a blessed women. Not only do I know so many people who have giving their lives to serving God and their country; but I have been numbered among them too. Thank you so much for all you do military, and pastoral staffs! But thank you EVEN more to the many PW's, PK's, MW's and MK's that have given mommy or daddy or spouse up to the cause of God and country. You are a truly rare breed; and you should be praised!

2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL post Julie! You are so awesome and I feel so blessed to be counted as one of your dear military friends! The pic you used of my family is one of my many many favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the props for PW's. Many a church and many a pastor would be hard pressed to continue on with out the pastor's spouse.

    Like you I found myself bonding with military wives. We lived in Virginia Beach, VA (near the Norfolk Naval Base) and our church was 50% military/retired military. The MW's and I often discussed the importance of realizing relationships are temporary, yet powerful and very precious. There is a close connection between women that sacrifice their family time, whether it is for country our church. It is something that non-military, non-ministry families have difficulty understanding.

    Ms. Jen a.k.a. Jen Fultz

    ReplyDelete