Friday, April 19, 2013

"And now you know...the REST of the story"

     
      John 21: 7 "7Then the disciple Jesus loved said to Peter, “It’s the Lord!” When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his tunic (for he had stripped for work), jumped into the water, and headed to shore."


      John 21:15-18 "
15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter,“Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.” “Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him. 16 Jesus repeated the question:“Simon son of John, do you love me?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.” “Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said. 17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep. 18“I tell you the truth, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked; you dressed yourself and went wherever you wanted to go. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.”


      I have heard several sermon's preached on these passages, wonderful sermon's about forgiveness and mercy. I have enjoyed listening to them and taking them to heart though out my life, but as I sat listening to another sermon on grace and forgiveness from this passage; I felt that "still small voice" talking to my soul. Sometimes I doubt that voice, think it's all in my head; but every once in awhile I feel it and really listen to what it is saying. 

      That voice told me, on this particular day, that there are two stories going on here. The commonly preached one about Peter receiving Jesus's forgiveness after having denied Him three times the night of His death, and a second one that I'd never really thought of before that day.

      As I was listening, it suddenly dawned on me that, in verse 7; once Peter was told that it was the Lord, he was instantly in the water racing to be with him. Those do not sound like the actions of someone who is in need of forgiving, those sound like the actions of someone who's BEEN forgiven. If that's the case, then why did the Lord ask three times (the same number of times Peter denied Him) if he loved Him? As I sat pondering that question that still small voice nudged me and said, maybe I asked him because it wasn't PETER that needed to know he was forgiven, but the other disciples around Peter that knew what he'd done.

      Wait, what? So this story wasn't JUST for Peter, but maybe it was for the others as well? Sometimes that voice can be very frustrating because it will give me an idea and leave me to reach a conclusion on my own. As I was pondering this new idea, I found that it made a lot of sense to me. 

      I've heard several times stories about "mature" Christians making life extremely difficult for those newer to faith, or without that faith at all. I can say that I've even participated in those stories a time or two. How many times have we, as Christians, found fault in our fellow man? How many times have we pointed the finger and said that persons guilt is too big to do this or that? The Bible is full of examples of God using the "under dog" to be the hero of the story, sinners like us. Sometimes I think we just tend to gloss over the fact that those people sinned; or think that since they were in the Bible it's different. Even Jesus hung out with the sinners, saying in Matthew 9: 11-12 "11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum?” 12 When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” So is it such a stretch to think that Jesus needed to show all the disciples around Him that not only had He forgiven Peter but that He still stood by His statements recorded earlier in Matthew, chapter 16 verse 18 "18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. "? 

      I grew up in the church, and I have discovered that, at times, this has hindered my growth instead of making it easier for me. I have heard the stories of the Bible told over and over, but have I thought beyond the common applications? I know that I struggle with character stories sometimes, identifying with the "wrong" person; the older son in the Prodigal son story, Martha in the Martha and Mary story, but does this only apply to those stories? Could it be that as I dig deeper into the Word, and live longer in the world that these stories can teach me a different lesson? 

      As a newer Christian, I would need to know that God forgave me; that His mercies are new every day; but as an older Christian; isn't it equally important for me to learn that God forgives others too, that He may use them in a "bigger" way then He'll use me? Even if this person is a "bigger" sinner then me? That is a very tough concept to swallow, but one I need to swallow in order to grow. I need to see that other's mistakes, MY mistakes, can not be big enough to change God's plan for our lives. We ARE forgiven, and He DOES have a plan for us.  



No comments:

Post a Comment