Monday, February 28, 2011

Continuing the Journey

Mark 9:21-24
   "21 “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father.
   He replied, “Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”
 23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
 24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”"

It seems like God's really trying to talk to me lately. Have you ever had one of those moments, where it seems like everything is pointing to one thing, but you feel as if you are missing something? I'm having that feeling right now. 2011 has been a year of learning for me so far, learning to be patient, learning to have faith and learning to express myself through this blog. But this weekend, God really started to say something, in fact...He might very well be YELLING something at me!

My best friend and I did a study through our church this weekend, to find our Chazown; or vision. One of the exercises we did was to identify our core values, those things that give you a righteous anger or the things you are very passionate about. One of my core values came up as faith, no surprise there if you've been reading my blog. What was surprising is how much if fit into my vision for things. I've been writing about patience, and other spiritual gifts this year, but faith just always seemed like it was something that was easy for me. This year, I'm starting to discover how closely related faith and patience really are for me. The passage I've posted from Mark has long been a prayer of mine, at least the father's response has been. I DO believe, but help my unbelief!! How often I cry out that very phrase in my prayer time.

So move ahead to Saturday evening when I attended a concert that featured several bands, one of which was Kutlass. Kutlass has a song that, again, felt as if God were trying to talk to me. The words to that course are practically a road map for my journey of faith and patience, the song is What Faith Can Do. To really show how this song is my road map, I've copied the lyrics to my blog:

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes
And make a new beginning

Anyone can feel the ache
You think it's more than you can take
But you're stronger
Stronger than you know

Don't you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

I've seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn't ever end
Even when the sky is falling
I've seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That's what faith can do

It doesn't matter what you've heard
Impossible is not a word
It's just a reason
For someone not to try

Everybody's scared to death
When they decide to take that step
Out on the water
It'll be alright

Life is so much more
Than what your eyes are seeing
You will find your way
If you keep believing

I've seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn't ever end
Even when the sky is falling
I've seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That's what faith can do

Overcome the odds
You don't have a chance
[That's what faith can do]
When the world says you can't
It'll tell you that you can

I've seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn't ever end
Even when the sky is falling
And I've seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That's what faith can do
That's what faith can do

Even if you fall sometimes
You will have the strength to rise


Then to top it all off this morning, my Bible reading has the scripture form Mark 9 "21 “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father. 
   He replied, “Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”
 23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
 24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”" It seems like God might be trying to say it WILL happen Julie, you WILL see the very things you long for; I'm just teaching you a little bit of faith, faith of a small seed.

I praise God that He not only is teaching me things, but that He loves me enough to remind me that He's teaching me. And just like the boy's father; I'll scream it at the top of my lungs..."I BELIEVE, BUT HELP MY UNBELIEF!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Julie. Sorry I couldn't come on Saturday. I really wanted to but way too much going on right now....I seriously need some of your faith because I am slipping fast right now...

    ReplyDelete