Monday, April 18, 2011

“Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

Luke 18: 35-43
   "35 As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind beggar was sitting beside the road. 36 When he heard the noise of a crowd going past, he asked what was happening. 37 They told him that Jesus the Nazarene was going by. 38 So he began shouting, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

39 “Be quiet!” the people in front yelled at him.
But he only shouted louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

40 When Jesus heard him, he stopped and ordered that the man be brought to him. As the man came near, Jesus asked him,
41 “What do you want me to do for you?”“Lord,” he said, “I want to see!”
42 And Jesus said, “All right, receive your sight! Your faith has healed you.” 43 Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus, praising God. And all who saw it praised God, too."

Mercy,  what does that mean anyway? Dictionary.com has several meanings listed; one of which is: the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, especially to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty. In some ways, I think this definition fits the verses. Jesus has the right to heal or not to heal the man, that discretionary power as described in this definition. But is there a better way to define mercy? How about this one,  an act of kindness, compassion, or favor: She has performed countless small mercies for her friends and neighbors.? It was definitely an act of kindness on Jesus part to heal the man wasn't it? There is always the "religious" definition as well, something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing: It was just a mercy we had our seat belts on when it happened. This would point to the actual act of the healing.

I think all of these definitions, and the few I didn't copy over as well, play into this set of verses. Again, I'm drawn to a verse about healing and in this verse Jesus points out to the healee that their faith has healed them. That faith that I'm still working to achieve.

I love the fact that this poor blind beggar would not be silenced. He would not be quite when told not to bother the Teacher. Due to this lack of being quite; Jesus asks for the man to be brought to Him. I can imagine that Jesus was smiling to Himself thinking; here is another opportunity I have to teach these people who I am, and why I'm here. Too heal the sick, and teach a new way of life; the actual living out of our Golden Rule.

I have been searching the Word to understand my faith, the patience that I need to wait on the Lord's timing for healing all year long. This past week I was reminded of something very important. While my "issues" might be important to me, I am not the only one who is in need of healing. The fact is, some of those people need God's healing a lot more then I do. They are fighting for their very lives, needing things like a kidney, or to be rid of a type of Cancer. These people have families and lives the same as I do, only they aren't able to live them because they are desperately trying to get healthy. While I was listen to one such persons spouse; I immediately felt God whisper in my ear, why don't you pray for THEIR healing as well as your own? What a thought! Yet again, I am reminded that I am a selfish spoiled person who is only thinking of herself. I have added at least three people to my prayer list and have made it a point to pray for THEM when my pain reminds me that I need to pray for myself.

Don't get me wrong, I try to be a giving person, I try to use what I've been blessed with to help those who aren't as blessed as I am. But somehow I have been missing that point in my prayer life, I've been missing the chance to make a difference in someones life just by joining them in prayer to God. While I've been learning my lessons this year, I've noticed that the changes I've needed to maker are rather small. Granted, it adds up quickly; but I'm discovering that I'm only needing to make small changes, a little at a time.

I praise God that I can do all that I can do. Live my life, read His Word and learn my lessons. I know that a lot of people out there aren't able to do these things the same way that I am. I'm reminded; through a poor blind beggar that I too, am in need of God's mercy. So while I'm praying today, I'm going to take a cue from this blind man and pray “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” and continue to pray for the healing of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment