Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Make a Joyful Noise

Psalm 59:16-17
   "16 But as for me, I will sing about your power.
      Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love.
   For you have been my refuge,
      a place of safety when I am in distress.
 17 O my Strength, to you I sing praises,
      for you, O God, are my refuge,
      the God who shows me unfailing love."

How awesome that I have a God who shows me unfailing love! How awesome that I have the right and privilege to SING about His unfailing love! If you have ever met me, you know that I am a singer. I love to sing, and sometimes it sounds great, and other times...well; let's just say that when you sing harmony out loud to a melody in your head, you tend to get some strange looks. :-) So for me to see verses (well pretty much the whole book of Psalms!) that say I will sing about this or that...oh it makes my hear soar! I'm sure God gave me this gift, to want to sing, for a reason right? Even if it's just for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of the Father!

the Lord IS powerful, and His love IS unfailing, so why not sing about it? My original thought for my blog today centered around singing, so I thought I might combine the two thoughts here. I have always had mentor's and Godly people in my life suggest that I learn the scriptures. But here is the thing, scripture; at points, can be very dry and hard to memorize. When I was younger, and in Kids Choir, at my church we would SING those scriptures. I know that the other kids with me in that choir would be able to sing to you 1 John 4:7-8 "7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  8He that loveth not (clap, clap, clap)  knoweth not God; for God is love." And a few of those might be able to sing the first 16 verses of Luke 2 as well. We preformed a GREAT play that had us kids singing the scripture word for word. As an adult, I realize how wonderful that was, how I can sing scripture and find comfort in God's word through song!

When my days are rough and I'm sad, I sing about seeking His kingdom first, when I'm happy I can sing praises about "glorifying and praising God", and not only that but contemporary Christian music is word for word scripture at some points as well! The Lord certainly knew what He was doing when He made my head think in musical terms! And He certainly knew what He was doing when He inspired song in His creation! I praise Your Name with song and dancing Lord! Thank You so much for music and the opportunities it gives me to praise You more!

2 comments:

  1. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby... keeping watch o'er their flocks by night... (lol Just try to say that without singing. Dare ya... )

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't I've tried, and I can't...

    ReplyDelete